Bideford show teeth in seven-goal win in Wiltshire
- Credit: Archant
Robins record biggest win of the season after two weeks without a game.
BIDEFORD’S Evo-stik Southern League season roared back to life with a 7-1 mauling of Chippenham Town on Saturday.
While the reserves side was being dealt a humiliating blow against rivals Boca Seniors at the Sports Ground, the first team was dishing out some footballing lessons of its own in Wiltshire.
Chippenham haven’t won a Premier Division game since the beginning of December and there was no sign of the Bluebirds ending their eight-match hoodoo against a rampant Robins side playing their first match in two weeks.
Kevin Squire and Sean Downing bagged two each and there were singles for Aaron Harper-Penman, Matt Bye and Matt Andrew as Bideford moved one place ahead of their opponents in the table.
You may also want to watch:
Squire opened the scoring on 18 minutes and the visitors took a 3-0 lead through Harper-Penman and a Bye strike on the stroke of half-time.
Tom Knighton pulled one back for the hosts five minutes after the break but a Downing double in the space of three minutes gave Bideford a commanding 5-1 lead with more than half-an-hour left to play.
- 1 Council tax rise will help recruit more firefighters
- 2 Brenda’s facemasks are big hit for hospice at Barnstaple pharmacy
- 3 Summer car parking charges hike planned for North Devon
- 4 Kentisbury Ford gets ultrafast broadband
- 5 'Harnessing the spirituality' of Lundy Island
- 6 Shocked widow finds drunken sailor asleep in her Bideford home
- 7 Brexit impact on fishing industry 'difficult to unpack'
- 8 Bideford dairy awarded AA accreditation grade
- 9 Fatal car crash on the A39 near Kilkhampton
- 10 North Devon care company says pandemic highlights importance of home care
Matt Andrew made it five goals in five games with the Robins’ sixth on 73 minutes and Squire supplied extra gloss on the win with goal number seven, 10 minutes from time.
Bideford are at home to Arlesey Town on Saturday.