Bideford head into last four despite defeat to Braunton in North One
- Credit: Archant
Bideford did enough in the top-of-the-table clash with Braunton to clinch top spot in North One – even though they lost by 81 runs.
The five bonus points Bideford earned for batting and bowling were sufficient to ensure they finished ahead of Braunton in the race for the play-offs.
Average points per game are the determining factor in the Devon League this season. Bideford had 0.25 points more than Braunton over the course of six games.
There were more extras (38) than individual runs off the bat for Braunton in their 40-over total of 151 for nine. Tom Robotham made 32 and Joe Barnes 27.
Martin Stewart (3-38) and veteran James Ford (2-10) were Bideford’s main wicket takers. Alex Hannam (2-23 off 7), Jack Ford (0-20 off 8) and Jamie Lathwell (1-15 off 7) kept it tight.
You may also want to watch:
Bideford plunged from 30 for two to 47 for six and on to 70 all out with more than 10 overs to go. James Ford (24) made the only score above seven.
Wickets were shared with three for Steve Moore (3-5) and two each for James Lake, Jon Baglow and Alfie Huxtable.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 3 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 4 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 5 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 6 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 7 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 10 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
Bideford are away to Stoke Gabriel this Saturday in the Tier Three last four. Kilmington and Exeter 2nd XI contest the other semi-final.
The game between Barnstaple and Pilton and North Devon 2nd XI was washed out without a ball bowled.