Bideford end losing streak with narrow win over Penryn
- Credit: Kevin Crowl
Bideford ended a three-game losing streak in Western Counties West when they defeated visiting Penryn 26-24.
Coach Simon Morrell felt Bideford should have won the game more comfortably and not had to rely on a touchline conversion to clinch a narrow victory.
It was a full five-pointer though and stopped Bideford sliding below halfway, which would have happened had they lost.
Penryn came back from 14-10 down at half time to lead 24-14 with time running down. Bideford hit them with two tries in quick succession to snatch the match.
"It was a win full of character, courage and belief," said Morrell.
You may also want to watch:
"We had a very positive first 10 minutes, but were wasteful when we should have gone two or three scores clear.
"Penryn got a fortuitous try and this put us under real pressure. Dean Folland restored our lead before half time.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
"Unforced errors cost us dearly in the second half and allowed Penryn to get two quick scores.
"Our response was relentless and excellent. Two scores brought us level and a touchline conversion from Chris Snell sealed a gutsy win."
Folland (2), Callum Davies and Alex Hillman were the Bideford try scorers. Reece Pearne converted both tries before the break and Snell landed the two-point winner.
Bideford are away to bottom side Saltash this Saturday.