Bideford end losing streak with narrow win over Penryn
- Credit: Kevin Crowl
Bideford ended a three-game losing streak in Western Counties West when they defeated visiting Penryn 26-24.
Coach Simon Morrell felt Bideford should have won the game more comfortably and not had to rely on a touchline conversion to clinch a narrow victory.
It was a full five-pointer though and stopped Bideford sliding below halfway, which would have happened had they lost.
Penryn came back from 14-10 down at half time to lead 24-14 with time running down. Bideford hit them with two tries in quick succession to snatch the match.
"It was a win full of character, courage and belief," said Morrell.
You may also want to watch:
"We had a very positive first 10 minutes, but were wasteful when we should have gone two or three scores clear.
"Penryn got a fortuitous try and this put us under real pressure. Dean Folland restored our lead before half time.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 5 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 6 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 7 Fringe TheatreFest returns to Barnstaple this month
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 10 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
"Unforced errors cost us dearly in the second half and allowed Penryn to get two quick scores.
"Our response was relentless and excellent. Two scores brought us level and a touchline conversion from Chris Snell sealed a gutsy win."
Folland (2), Callum Davies and Alex Hillman were the Bideford try scorers. Reece Pearne converted both tries before the break and Snell landed the two-point winner.
Bideford are away to bottom side Saltash this Saturday.