Bideford boxer celebrates memorable victory
- Credit: Supplied
Billy Stanbury caused a big upset at York Hall beating local fighter Robbie Chapman on points.
In what was meant to be an uphill battle for Stanbury with his opponent ranked considerably higher in the middleweight rankings (43rd in Britain) and more experienced, Stanbury showed real maturity in his performance.
Stanbury started well, holding the centre of the ring working off a stiff jab and fast flurries to dominate early. Stanbury built on this in the 2nd, adding in his trademark body shots, as he was able to continually pin Chapman on the ropes.
Chapman was clearly feeling the pace in the 3rd as he tried to lower the pace, being negative on the back foot, but the Bideford boxer continued to showed real class looking for gaps and picking his shots well.
With Stanbury well on the way to victory, he went through the gears, continuously stalking Chapman and landing heavy blows.
You may also want to watch:
Stanbury now moves to two fights undefeated as a Professional and will be looking to take his good form into his next bout in Plymouth on October 16th.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 3 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 4 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
- 5 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 6 Holsworthy solicitor praised by guide to UK’s top lawyers
- 7 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs