Anniversary Around Lundy Race is a great success
- Credit: Archant
Top racing as 44 boats from around the Bristol Channel compete in Ilfracombe’s annual race on Saturday.
THE 10th anniversary of Ilfracombe Yacht Club’s Around Lundy Race enjoyed some fantastic weather on Saturday with 44 boats taking part.
Entrants came from all over the Bristol Channel, setting off from Ilfracombe at 8am and while winds were very light, the tide ensured all competitors were able to get over the line.
There was some great racing from the off, with Heliogan from Thornbury and Dark Angel from Swansea soon ahead in class 1, while Ilfracombe’s Zephyrus owned by Dave Welsh made fantastic ground in class 2.
The wind died as racers approached the north end of Lundy, but the field was able to make it around the island just before the tide turned – then it was cruising shuts or spinnakers out for the fast homeward leg.
You may also want to watch:
With wind and tide on their side the yachts made good time back to Ilfracombe, the first arriving some 7.5 hours later and all but a few yachts made it back in the allotted time.
Class 1 and overall winner was Heoligan, skippered by A Page of Thornbury Sailing Club with a time of 9:46:50.
- 1 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 2 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 3 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 4 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 5 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 6 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 7 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 8 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 9 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
- 10 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief
But Ilfracombe Yacht Club’s own Zephyrus, raced by Dave Welch, Dan welch, Andy Maslen, and Andrew Putt, won Class 2 and was second overall with a time of 9:51:44.
Rocker skippered by G Chapman of Thornbury SC was third overall and second in Class 1 with 9:56:42.
Class 3 was won by White Spirit from Portishead and skippered by D Randell in 10:26:49.
Class 1: 1st Heoligan (Thornbury) 9:46:50; 2nd – Rocker (Thornbury) 9:56:42; 3rd – Mercury (R Doran North Devon YC).
Class 2: 1st – Zephyrus (Ilfracombe) 9:51:44; 2nd – Moontide (P Bradley, Cardiff YC) 10:00:21; 3rd – Pure Chemistry (C Mallory Cardiff Bay YC) 10:08:16.
Class 3: 1st – White Spirit (Portishead) 10:26:49; 2nd – Barracuda (M Ford, Thornbury) 10:31:14.
* PLEASE NOTE: The earlier version of this story incorrectly stated who raced Zephyrus. It should have said Dave Welch, Dan welch, Andy Maslen, and Andrew Putt. We apologise for the error.