Shopping village evacuated

Joseph Bulmer

EARLY morning shoppers were evacuated from the Atlantic Village outlet in Clovelly Road, Bideford, today (Friday) when a lighting strip in one of the stores started smoking.

The incident happened in the Double Two Store at around 9.30am and resulted in the village’s safety procedure being activated.

The fire and rescue service was called and people were evacuated.

An electrician was called to rectify the problem and by 10.15am it was shopping as normal.

News