Shammy spot-on in penalty shoot-out

Joseph Bulmer

Shamwickshire Reserves and Lynton and Lynmouth fought out 120 minutes without result and had to decide their Combe Martin Cup clash by penalty shoot-out.

Shammy were faultless with their five spotkicks, leaving just one miss on kick number four dooming Lynton to defeat.

Jack Pugsley scored twice for Lynton in the opening half, but a 30-yarder from John Jefferies and a header by Steve Smale kept Shammy on terms and it was 2-2 at the end of normal time. Tom Phipps put Shammy in front in the extra period, but with just one minute remaining Lynton were awarded a penalty and Martin Phillips squared the account once again.

Ironically, it was penalties, however, which proved Lynton’s final downfall.

League contenders Chittlehampton made predictable progress away to bottom team Barnstaple AAC Reserves, having slotted in 16 goals in their previous two meetings.

But this time they found the Ammies were made of sterner stuff and were kept at bay by a dogged defence until the final 20 minutes.

Once a breach was made, however, with Jamie Giffard nodding in from a free kick,

the resistance folded. Giffard went on to complete his hat-trick and Matt Ransley added another for a 4-0 win.

Bude romped home 9-1 against visiting Torrington Reserves, Scott Percy leading the way with four goals and others coming from, Rich Suttie, Liam Anderson, Steve Thompson, Jack Wellington and James Findlay.

Northam Lions made progress with a 4-3 win at home to South Molton.

They made an early charge, but were initally denied by some outstanding saves by the visiting keeper and had to wait 25 minutes to open their account when Ian Keen ran on to a ball over the top to score.

Molton were back on terms within a minute with a goal by Tyler Newnham, but then the Lions stretched away.

A backheel by Charlie Harding let in Liam Shaxton to drive into the far corner for his first goal for the club, Alex Charlton slammed home a 30-yard free kick and Keen ran from his own half to net his second and take the Lions to 4-1 by the break.

Victory looked assured, especially when Molton were reduced to 10 men. But the visitors caused an anxious finish as they grabbed two more goals in the last 10 minutes through Dave Isaac and Colin Kennerson.

The Braunton Reserves bogey continued for Park United as they lost to them for the third time this season.

A second half hat-trick by striker Steve Burley made the difference.

Braunton led 1-0 at the break through Sam Nash. Although Dave Brown pulled one back in the second half Park’s attempts to push forward left them open at the back and Burley took full advantage to complete a 4-1 Braunton victory.