Youth drop in centre to close this week
- Credit: Archant
No funding available for Barnstaple advice service.
A DROP-IN advice service for young people in Barnstaple is set to close on Friday due to a lack of funding.
The Youth Enquiry Service (YES), based at Barnstaple Youth House, has delivered a free confidential service for 13-25-year-olds for the last two years.
The daily drop-in, run by the Young Devon charity in partnership with Encompass South West, has offered support on a wide range of issues, and has made contact with more than 2,000 young people.
Tim Tod, chief executive of Young Devon said: “We are truly sorry that we have had to take this decision to close the Barnstaple YES.
You may also want to watch:
“It has proven to be an invaluable service for young people in the town and we are looking to minimise the impact on them.
“Our thoughts are also with our staff in Barnstaple and the effect that this decision will have on them.”
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 4 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 10 Man dies in crash involving bicycle and car in Bideford
Mr Tod said funding was no longer available to deliver the housing and sexual health advice or the job club-type services offered in other YES centres across Devon.
He said: “As a charity we do not currently have the resources to maintain this service, but I will be working with my management team and trustees over the coming months to identify new ways of giving young people in Barnstaple access to the services they are so obviously crying out for.”
Young Devon said a counselling service would continue to operate from Barnstaple Youth House as normal.