Youngsters enjoy day at Appledore Lifeboat Station
YOUNG supporters of the RNLI enjoyed a thrilling day when they visited Appledore Lifeboat station on Saturday. The Devon members of Storm Force, the RNLI s club for child members, were personally invited to go along to the station to meet the crew, see th
YOUNG supporters of the RNLI enjoyed a thrilling day when they visited Appledore Lifeboat station on Saturday.
The Devon members of Storm Force, the RNLI's club for child members, were personally invited to go along to the station to meet the crew, see the lifeboats and watch rescue demonstrations.
RNLI mascot Stormy Stan came up from head office in Poole to meet the Storm Force members and presented each child with an RNLI goody bag and a special certificate signed by the Appledore coxswain and crew members.
Appledore is the busiest station not only in Devon but the whole Bristol Channel, with three boats - an all-weather off shore lifeboat, an inshore high speed inflatable and a smaller D class boarding boat which is also used for upriver and certain low tide estuary work.
You may also want to watch:
The all weather boat, George Gibson, and the inshore Douglas Paley were taken to Appledore Quay where the children could go onboard and meet the crew. Afterwards at the station rescues were demonstrated by both the RNLI lifeboat crews and RNLI lifeguards. The search and rescue helicopter from RMB Chivenor also carried out a fly past.
The children toured the station and had great fun trying on the protective clothing and lifejackets worn by the crew. The local coastguards joined in and showed the children much of their safety equipment and how it was used.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
"We were delighted to meet so many of our Storm Force members and their families," said Wendy Dale, Appledore Lifeboat operations manager
"We thank all the volunteers from the RNLI and the coastguard, as well as RMB Chivenor, for making this a most memorable day for the children.