Youngsters design MPs’ Christmas cards
- Credit: Archant
Young Gazette readers create festive cards inspired by the local area.
YOUNG North Devon Gazette readers have been putting pens and pencils to paper to design Christmas cards for their local MPs.
Back in September, we set local children the challenge of creating the cards for North Devon MP Nick Harvey and Torridge and West Devon MP Geoffrey Cox – and they have responded in style!
Around 100 came up with designs inspired by the local area and each MP has now picked a winning design.
Millie Sutherland O’Gara, 15, from Bideford College, was announced the winner for Torridge, while Emily Dixon, 13, of South Molton Community College was chosen as the North Devon winner.
You may also want to watch:
The cards will now be sent to hundreds of colleagues, charities, businesses and community groups – as well as the Queen and the Prime Minister.
Millie, who is studying GCSE art, said: “I have always loved drawing and I was absolutely delighted to have won.”
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
Mr Cox said: “I decided Millie’s design should be the winner because it was whimsical and magical, and based on a local theme which was really important.
“She took the winning garland, but I had four really good runners-up who are a little bit younger and their designs will be printed on the back of the card.
“I’m very pleased with how this has gone, and thank you to the Gazette for a tremendous idea.”
Emily Dixon, 13, from near Bishops Nympton, was presented with her prize by North Devon MP Nick Harvey on Friday.
She said: “I was really happy and surprised to have won. We designed the cards in September so I just looked out of the classroom window and drew what I saw.”
While Emily’s design features on the front of Mr Harvey’s card, four runners-up feature on the back. Mr Harvey said: “We had some fantastic designs to choose from.
“I would like to thank all the artists for their hard work, and to the Gazette for organising this competition.”
The Torridge runners-up were Heather Bailey from Clawton, and Tom Beer, Alex Grigg and Jessica Fletcher-Buchanan, all from Monkleigh.
The North Devon runners-up were: Kira Prouse; and Sophie Pearce, also of South Molton Community College; Emily Elder of Our Lady’s Catholic Primary School; and Zoe Fletcher and Niha Arain, both of Park Community School.