Youngsters celebrated at Torridge awards evening
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters celebrated at Westward Ho! event
Over a hundred young people have been celebrated at a special awards evening in Westward Ho!
120 youngsters aged up to 19 were recognised by Community Action Through Sport (CATS), an initiative which recognises and rewards young people for their positive community actions.
Awards were made at the first Torridge CATS presentation in five categories: Sports Coaching, Fundraising, School CATS, Skills for Life and the Wider Community. These were donated by local leisure related businesses and organisations, including 1610, who run Torridge Leisure Centres.
“What a wonderful evening for the Torridge CATS awards,” said founder of the CATS project Denise May MBE. “So many young people were recognised for their positive contributions in their own communities.
You may also want to watch:
“Community Action Through Sport is proud to acknowledge the young people and congratulate the proactive committee who are supporting this newly formed branch and wish them well for a bright future.”
Cllr Jane Whittaker, Torridge’s lead member for communities, said: “Young people today often get a bad press, but I think events like these just prove that there is so much positivity in our youngsters, and endless potential.”
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 9 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 10 Teams needed for Appledore RNLI Boat Pull
To find out how you can nominate worthy youngsters, visit http://communityactionthroughsport.org.