Young people’s regeneration project
Young people from the community youth group Seize the Moment are backing a project to regenerate a disused council toilet block in the heart of Westward Ho!
The building, known locally as The Pavilion, is part of the public tennis courts and amenity area on Golf Links Road, opposite the cricket ground.
The toilet blocks have been boarded up for some years. This has led to vandalism and damage to the roof and windows.
Young people who have been using rooms adjacent to the toilets as a youth club are fed up with the deterioration of the building and the general state of the area, said Jane Elliott of Seize the Moment.
The public path through the park next to the building is badly lit and out of sight of the main road. It is used by older drinkers as a place to congregate and broken bottles have been smashed on to the floor, causing a hazard for everyone who uses the public recreation ground, she said.
You may also want to watch:
The Pavilion is currently leased by Seize the Moment Ltd from Torridge District Council.
Westward Ho! Youth Club has been based at the building since 2008 and has been funded through the Big Lottery and Torridge Play. This fund has now ended and the young people who use the Pavillion have had to make important decisions about the future of their club.
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 3 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 4 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 5 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 8 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 9 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
- 10 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
“It would be great if there are any local business who would sponsor our endeavour,” said Jane.
She can be contacted 07773 679559 or via e-mail:- email@example.com