Young linguists impress judges
Students gather at Pilton Community College in Barnstaple for the South West’s MFL speaking competition
A GROUP of young linguists gathered together for the third year running to participate in the South West’s Routes in Languages MFL Speaking Competition.
The event, hosted by Pilton Community College, had a total of 28 eager competitors from Pilton, Bideford College, Braunton School and Community College, Great Torrington School, Ilfracombe Arts College and PETROC, competing in four different categories in French, German or Spanish.
“We are delighted to host such a high profile event and that so many gifted and talented linguists had the chance to meet and spend the day together,” said Karen Cassar, head of modern foreign languages at Pilton.
“The standard of the competitors’ presentations was exceptional this year and the Routes into Languages judges and staff from the participating colleges were very impressed.”
You may also want to watch:
Many students from all the schools succeeded in the event, with all schools having a winner or a runner up over all the categories in varying age groups.
Participants in the competition gave a presentation in front of judges, teaching staff and other students.
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 3 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 4 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened