Young holidaymakers plucked to safety from Combe Martin cliff
TWO children cut off by the tide at Combe Martin were airlifted to safety after a joint rescue between the lifeboat, coastguard and Chivenor helicopter. The Ilfracombe RNLI inshore lifeboat Deborah Brown II was launched just before 5pm on Wednesday to hel
TWO children cut off by the tide at Combe Martin were airlifted to safety after a joint rescue between the lifeboat, coastguard and Chivenor helicopter.
The Ilfracombe RNLI inshore lifeboat Deborah Brown II was launched just before 5pm on Wednesday to help the holiday makers, who had been playing on rocks close to Lester Point when they became cut off.
The pair, from Bromley in Kent, had then climbed some 15 metres up the cliff to get clear of the water and were spotted from the shore, with several onlookers making 999 calls to Swansea Coastguard.
The lifeboat and Ilfracombe Coastguard Rescue Team were both called to the scene and stood by as RNLI crew member Mark Tucker climbed up to the children.
You may also want to watch:
He decided it was too dangerous to escort the children back down to the waiting lifeboat and so Rescue Helicopter 169 from RMB Chivenor was scrambled.
Both children and Mark were airlifted from the cliff and landed safely at the Combe Martin football field, none the worse for their ordeal, with the youngsters swiftly reunited with their families.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 6 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 7 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 8 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple
- 9 Barnstaple Waterstones to host first event since March 2020
- 10 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station