Young artists light up The Burton
THE talents of the region’s young artists are on display at the Burton Art Gallery and Museum in Bideford in one of its largest and most colourful exhibitions of the year.
The Annual Schools Exhibition showcases the lively and imaginative work of some of Torridge’s youngest artists, with ages ranging from five to 18 years.
It is a definite highlight of the year, with prizes supported by the National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies.
Seventeen schools are taking part: Kingsley, Chulmleigh Primary , Westcroft Junior, Instow Primary, Home Grown Kids, St Mary’s C of E Primary, St Helen’s Primary, East-the -Water Primary, Parkham Primary and Infants , Northam St George’s Infants and Nursery, Monkleigh Primary, Appledore, Clovelly, Pynes Infants, Bideford College, Shebbear College and Woolsery Primary.
The exhibition runs until March 7, Monday to Saturday 10am to 4pm and Sunday 11am to 4pm and entry is free.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor David Lausen, Torridge’s Lead Member for Culture, said: “The Annual Schools Exhibition is a marvellous way to support and encourage children through art. It is vital today that children are encouraged to be creative and to use their imaginations and this exhibition shows some fine examples of what is being achieved in our schools in northern Devon.”
To coincide with the schools exhibition there are also activities for families and children, including:
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 3 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 4 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 5 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 6 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 9 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 10 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
Under-fives Storytime, March 3, 10 – 10.30am, free for under-fives, parents and carers; Art from the Sea with Tanya Landman, March 5, 11am – 12 noon, free for families with over-sixes