Yeomanry squadron’s call to regimental association
SIR – The present day Squadron of the Royal Devon Yeomanry are looking for new members to join the Regimental Association. This fine Regiment dates back to 1794 when it was formed by Sir Stafford Northcot Bt on May 15 of that year. It was first called out
SIR - The present day Squadron of the Royal Devon Yeomanry are looking for new members to join the Regimental Association.
This fine Regiment dates back to 1794 when it was formed by Sir Stafford Northcot Bt on May 15 of that year. It was first called out for service in 1795 to put down a riot in Crediton which had been caused by the high price of bread.
In 1801 it became known as the Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry Cavalry and was commanded by Colonel the Lord Rolle. The Regiment remained in this form until 1920 when it was amalgamated with the Royal North Devon Hussars and retitled the Royal Devon Yeomanry Artillery. During the period up to 1920 a detachment served in South Africa from 1900 to 1902 as part of the Imperial Yeomanry. During the First World War it saw service in Gallipoli and Egypt 1915-1916, Palestine and France 1918.
At the outbreak of World War 2 the regiment was divided into 96 and 142 Regiment Royal Artillery. 142 served in Italy in the major campaigns of the Sicily landings, Anzio and Monte Casino. Throughout the campaign they were armed with self-propelled guns, and for their support to the 1st Canadian Division were awarded the right to wear the Canadian Maple Leaf, a tradition that is carried on today. 96 Regiment fought in the Far East but were disbanded in 1943.
You may also want to watch:
After the war the Regiment continued as a Territorial Unit up until 1967 when it was amalgamated with the 4th Devon's to become the Devonshire Territorial's (RDY/IRV) RAC.Unfortunately due to government policy the regiment was disbanded in 1969.
With a change of government in 1971 a new regiment was formed called the Wessex Yeomanry and consisted of 'A' & 'C' Squadrons The Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, 'B' Squadron The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, and 'D' Squadron The Royal Devon Yeomanry. In 1998 as part of the Strategic Defence Review all Squadrons survived however 'A' & 'C' Squadrons were amalgamated to become 'C' Squadron, and 'A' Dorset Yeomanry Squadron was formed.
- 1 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 2 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 3 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 4 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 5 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 6 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 7 Mercy for man who took part in Bideford Quay affray
- 8 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 9 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 10 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
The present day 'D' Royal Devon Yeomanry Squadron are located in Barnstaple and Paignton, training their soldiers as individual replacements for the Regular Army on the Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank.
If there are any old soldiers from the Second World War, or from 1971 onwards who have served with this fine Regiment and would like to become a member of the Regimental Association they should contact Captain Clive Pearce PSAO, and Chairman of the Association on 01271-345471 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or if you are between 171/2 and 43 and would like an exciting challenge why not join the present day Squadron? Call us on the number above for details.
Capt C H Pearce