Wrong ballot slips sent out for Ilfracombe county elections
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
North Devon Council has to reissue almost 1,000 postal voting papers after admin error.
THE wrong postal voting papers have been sent out to almost 1,000 Ilfracombe households, North Devon Council has admitted.
The council now has to reissue the 985 ballot papers for the county council election on Thursday, May 2.
An administrative error saw the Green party emblem printed next to the name of candidate Mike Edmunds, who is actually standing as an independent. There is no Green Party contender after its candidate Mike Harrison withdrew from the election.
Mike Mansell, deputy returning officer at the district council, said the error was spotted on Saturday after the papers for postal voters had already been sent out.
You may also want to watch:
“The issue relates to the Ilfracombe division only, where one of the candidates has the incorrect party emblem next to their name,” he said.
“To ensure the election is conducted properly and fairly, all 985 papers will now be resent, along with a covering letter explaining the situation and what postal voters are required to do to cast their vote.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
“We apologise for any inconvenience this administrative error may have caused and if anyone has any further queries relating to this, please contact our electoral services team on 01271 388277.”
No information was available from the council as to the cost of reprinting and sending out the papers a second time.
Completed ballot papers need to be returned to the council by post, or to any polling station in the Ilfracombe electoral division, by 10pm on polling day (May 2).