Wrong ballot slips sent out for Ilfracombe county elections
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
North Devon Council has to reissue almost 1,000 postal voting papers after admin error.
THE wrong postal voting papers have been sent out to almost 1,000 Ilfracombe households, North Devon Council has admitted.
The council now has to reissue the 985 ballot papers for the county council election on Thursday, May 2.
An administrative error saw the Green party emblem printed next to the name of candidate Mike Edmunds, who is actually standing as an independent. There is no Green Party contender after its candidate Mike Harrison withdrew from the election.
Mike Mansell, deputy returning officer at the district council, said the error was spotted on Saturday after the papers for postal voters had already been sent out.
“The issue relates to the Ilfracombe division only, where one of the candidates has the incorrect party emblem next to their name,” he said.
“To ensure the election is conducted properly and fairly, all 985 papers will now be resent, along with a covering letter explaining the situation and what postal voters are required to do to cast their vote.
- 1 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 2 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 3 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 4 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 5 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 6 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 7 Bring the children to see Santa at Chivenor Christmas Craft Market
- 8 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 9 Get dressed up to Race the Reindeer in Bideford this Christmas
- 10 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
“We apologise for any inconvenience this administrative error may have caused and if anyone has any further queries relating to this, please contact our electoral services team on 01271 388277.”
No information was available from the council as to the cost of reprinting and sending out the papers a second time.
Completed ballot papers need to be returned to the council by post, or to any polling station in the Ilfracombe electoral division, by 10pm on polling day (May 2).