World record tree planting attempt in North Devon
THE Northern Devon Coast and Countryside Service has joined forces with the BBC s Breathing Places campaign to help set a new world record for the number of trees planted in one hour across the country. Landowners and community groups across North Devon
THE Northern Devon Coast and Countryside Service has joined forces with the BBC's Breathing Places campaign to help set a new world record for the number of trees planted in one hour across the country.
Landowners and community groups across North Devon's Biosphere Reserve were invited to apply for up to 200 free trees each including oak, ash, hazel and alder saplings.
Among those responding was Wings South West, which works with young people in North Devon including providing opportunities for those not in education, employment or training. They will be planting free trees in the North Devon Coast Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty as part of the AONB's 50th anniversary celebrations.
Since there are a limited number of trees available, each application was assessed for the benefits the planting would bring to people, wildlife and the landscape. Commenting on the rural initiative Fraser Marchbank, Youth and Conservation Worker from Wings South West said: "We are really pleased and excited to be involved in the record attempt. It's a fantastic opportunity for the young people we work with to be able to make a positive and lasting contribution to the environment, for theirs and future generations."
You may also want to watch:
For the world record breaking attempt the trees will need to be planted between 11am and midday on Saturday, December 5. The aim is to beat the previous record of 653,143 trees by planting more than a million in one hour at multiple locations throughout the country. The Coast and Countryside Service will be providing volunteers to help on the day.
For further details visit www.northdevonbiosphere.org, or call Tom Hynes at the Coast and Countryside Service on 01237 423655.
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 10 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton