Work to start on �25k Ilfracombe school crossing scheme
WORK will start on a new zebra crossing at Marlborough Road in Ilfracombe on Monday. The �24,500 scheme was identified in Ilfracombe Infant School s School Travel Plan and will take two weeks to complete, in time for the start of the new school term. The
WORK will start on a new zebra crossing at Marlborough Road in Ilfracombe on Monday.
The �24,500 scheme was identified in Ilfracombe Infant School's School Travel Plan and will take two weeks to complete, in time for the start of the new school term. The scheme has been funded through a planning agreement, following the expansion of John Fowlers Holiday Park.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: "The infant school has been very supportive of this scheme and it should make a huge difference in helping pupils and their parents walk safely to school.
"Following the introduction of another zebra crossing in Highfield Road in the town earlier this year, Ilfracombe is benefiting from improved facilities for pedestrian and hopefully it will encourage more people to walk around the town."
Cllr Geoff Fowler, Devon County Councillor for Ilfracombe, added: "Along with teachers and parents, I have long wanted to see safety improved at the main crossing point for the Infants School on what is now the second busiest road out of town due to Tesco and John Fowler's.
"A controlled crossing will give pedestrians the confidence to cross safely, which in turn will benefit all road users.
- 1 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 2 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 3 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 4 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 5 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 6 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 7 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 8 RGB's North Devon branches helping others this Christmas
- 9 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 10 North Devon MP encourages community to go 'one step greener'