Work to develop North Devon fishing industry
AIMS to help the fishing industry adapt and prosper for the future have been unveiled by the Northern Devon Local Fisheries Group.
It says market development, education and awareness, diversification, efficiency and long-term development should be the objectives.
A European funding pot of �3.75 million is available to only six English fishing communities, of which North Devon is one. The strength of the strategy produced by FLAG will help determine the amount of funding available.
It is hoped to promote North Devon fish as a name for quality and sustainability, increase demand and develop the industry through infrastructure or training.
Money will be accessible for projects that support the strategy, not only amongst fishermen, but industries such as catering, tourism and retail.
You may also want to watch:
“The funding we are targeting is available for links to industry rather than just fishing,” said John Butterwith, CEO of the North Devon Fishermen’s Association.
“It’s all about strengthening the North Devon fishing community as a whole.”
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 3 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 4 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 5 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 9 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 10 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
FLAG is made up of fishermen, business, councils and group such as North Devon Biosphere Resrve. It is supported and facilitated by North Devon Plus.
Anyone who wants to get involved or requires more information can email FLAG@northdevonplus.co.uk.