Work to begin on 232 new houses in Bideford
- Credit: Archant
Housing giant Redrow have acquired land off Abbotsham Road and expect the first houses to be available in the early autumn.
WORK on a new housing development in Bideford is due to start imminently with the first properties available in the early autumn.
Housing giant Redrow has purchased a 28-acre development site off Abbotsham Road in Bideford and will be building 200 private homes and 32 affordable houses on the former Grenville College green.
In January Redrow successfully obtained planning permission for 232 homes and a care home on the site from Torridge District Council’s planning committee.
The committee also agreed Bideford charity Wings South West should be able to apply for permission to build its groundbreaking Bridge Centre on the site.
The plans for the community centre were submitted as part of the original application by Redrow but it was told by officers to remove that element otherwise it would be recommended for refusal.
Since the planning meeting in January, Wings South West has lodged a separate planning application for the Bridge Centre which is currently awaiting a decision.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 10 ‘What a Beautiful Noise' takes to Queens stage
If successful, the community centre will replace the ‘public open space’ agreement in the planning permission granted by the council to Redrow.
As part of the development, Redrow will contribute £773,000 to primary school education and £20,000 towards highway works, including providing a new bus stop and crossing on Abbotsham Road.