Work on new chemo unit to start early in the New Year
- Credit: Archant
Healthcare Trust signs off final business case and design plans.
BUILDING work on the new chemotherapy and day treatment unit at North Devon District Hospital is expected to start early next year.
Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust has now approved the final business case and design plans for the project, the Gazette can reveal.
A tender process for the building contract has been completed and it is expected that the winning bidder will be announced this week.
Roger French, trust chairman, said: “The board fully supports the plans and we are all looking forward to the building work starting and the project coming to fruition.
You may also want to watch:
“The new facilities are sure to make a very positive difference to the 5,000 or so patients and families who use the chemotherapy service each year.
“I would like to thank everybody involved in the project and the fundraising effort for their continued dedication and hard work, which has enabled us to reach this exciting stage.”
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 3 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 4 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 8 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
- 9 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 10 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
Sharon Bates, divisional general manager for clinical support services, said: “The building contractor is due to be appointed soon and we’re hopeful that work will begin early in the new year.”
The £2.2million chemotherapy unit will be linked to the western side of the main hospital building.
It will have its own drop-off point, reception and waiting area, consulting rooms for haematology and oncology outpatients, two open-plan rooms for chemotherapy and other treatment, plus two en-suite treatment rooms.
Other features include pre-treatment rooms, a quiet room, staff room and courtyard area.
So far, £1.85million has been raised and another £350,000 will need to be raised by the end of the 12-month-build project.
Ian Roome, fundraising manager, said: “It will be vital that we continue to raise funds during 2014/15 in making sure we reach our target.
“The fundraising team will be able to support anyone who wants to help raise funds and we have events planned throughout the year.”
To help with the appeal’s final push to raise the remaining £350,000, telephone the fundraising team on 01271 311772, email firstname.lastname@example.org or donate direct at www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/fundraising.