Work on Ilfracombe skate park under way
WORK was set to start today (Monday) to redevelop the former BMX track in Ilfracombe into a skate park. Gravity Engineering Ltd moved onto the site at Larkstone to begin preparations for the project, which is being led by North Devon Council with help fr
WORK was set to start today (Monday) to redevelop the former BMX track in Ilfracombe into a skate park.
Gravity Engineering Ltd moved onto the site at Larkstone to begin preparations for the project, which is being led by North Devon Council with help from Ilfracombe Skate Committee, the Concrete Surfers Federation.
Once complete the site will have a concrete surface making it multi-use and suitable for skateboards, roller blades or BMX bikes.
Councillor Dick Jones, Lead Member for Community and Leisure, said: "It is fantastic to see work beginning on the new facility.
You may also want to watch:
"A lot of local people have worked really hard to get to today and they should be very proud of their efforts. I am sure that once the works are completed it will be a very popular addition to the town."
The planning application for the �156,000 project was agreed by North Devon Council's Planning Committee following a site visit on August 26. �56,000 of the funding was secured by the skate committee from the Youth Opportunity Fund.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 8 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 9 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 10 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
The work is expected to take around 10 weeks to complete.