Work on Ilfracombe skate park under way
WORK was set to start today (Monday) to redevelop the former BMX track in Ilfracombe into a skate park. Gravity Engineering Ltd moved onto the site at Larkstone to begin preparations for the project, which is being led by North Devon Council with help fr
WORK was set to start today (Monday) to redevelop the former BMX track in Ilfracombe into a skate park.
Gravity Engineering Ltd moved onto the site at Larkstone to begin preparations for the project, which is being led by North Devon Council with help from Ilfracombe Skate Committee, the Concrete Surfers Federation.
Once complete the site will have a concrete surface making it multi-use and suitable for skateboards, roller blades or BMX bikes.
Councillor Dick Jones, Lead Member for Community and Leisure, said: "It is fantastic to see work beginning on the new facility.
You may also want to watch:
"A lot of local people have worked really hard to get to today and they should be very proud of their efforts. I am sure that once the works are completed it will be a very popular addition to the town."
The planning application for the �156,000 project was agreed by North Devon Council's Planning Committee following a site visit on August 26. �56,000 of the funding was secured by the skate committee from the Youth Opportunity Fund.
- 1 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 4 Fashion store opened by North Devon Against Domestic Abuse
- 5 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 6 Coronavirus infection rate for North Devon is zero - no cases in a week
- 7 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 8 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 9 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 10 Have your say on the future of North Devon phone boxes
The work is expected to take around 10 weeks to complete.