Work begins on �1.12 million affordable housing scheme
Old Barnstaple mill gets a new lease of life
WORK has started on a �1.12 million transformation of a “run-down” mill building in the centre of Barnstaple.
One three-bed and eight two-bed affordable homes are being built at the Maldram Mill development in Bear Street.
The project is an extension of Magna Somerset Housing Association’s �1.25 million Granary Court scheme, which saw 11 new affordable homes built on the same street last year.
Magna, which will manage the new project, has contributed �504,000 and other funding has come from the Homes and Communities Agency (�413,000) and North Devon Council (�204,000).
You may also want to watch:
North Devon-based building firm, Loosemore, has been contracted to carry out the work. They will use local labour and sub-contractors throughout the project.
Barbara Venn, the district council’s corporate development manager, said: “We have worked closely with the HCA and Magna to obtain funding for this project and it is great to now see work beginning on site.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 4 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 5 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 10 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
“At a time when funding is short and homelessness is increasing it will be a great bonus for those local families in housing need.
Magna director Tony Murray said the development would also help regenerate the immediate area as well as provide much-needed homes for rent.
HCA investment and regeneration manager Lisa Clayton added: “This is more good news for North Devon and local people who are looking to move into high quality affordable housing.
“Maldram Mill is an important scheme for us, as it helps meet local need for affordable housing in the long-term, and will provide accommodation for residents who live on the Forches estate, which is currently undergoing regeneration.”