Woolacombe named in top 10 beaches in Europe
- Credit: Archant
TripAdvisor awards also saw Woolacombe crowed second best UK beach for the second year in a row.
WOOLACOMBE has been named as one of Europe’s best beaches in the Travellers’ Choice Beaches awards run by TripAdvisor.
The North Devon beach beat coastlines in Spain, Greece, Italy and Turkey to be named the seventh best beach in Europe.
Woolacombe also keeps its title for the second year in a row at the UK’s second best beach, beaten to the top spot by Rhossili Bay in Gower, Wales.
Last year Woolacombe was named as the fifth best beach in Europe.
James Kay, a TripAdvisor spokesman, said: “These awards recognise the best beaches in the UK and worldwide, according to the travellers that have visited and given them the highest levels of praise.
You may also want to watch:
“To have a Devon beach named among the best in Europe just goes to show how lucky we are in the UK to have such stunning scenery right on our doorstep.”
The Travellers’ Choice Beach Award winners were determined based on the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings over a 12 month period on TripAdvisor.
- 1 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
In Europe, the number one beach was named as Rabbit Beach in Lampedusa, Italy.
Braia do Sancho in Brazil took the ultimate top spot, being crowned the top beach in the world.