Woolacombe Beach ranked fifth in Europe
- Credit: Archant
The annual TripAdvisor beach awards also put North Devon’s iconic beach at number two in the UK.
WOOLACOMBE Beach has been named the fifth best in Europe, beating destinations such as Greece, Italy and Spain.
The North Devon beach was also ranked second in the UK, after the winners were announced by internet travel site TripAdvisor for its annual Travellers’ Choice Beaches Awards.
It is climbing the rankings, after being voted third in the UK last year and seventh the year before.
The awards are decided based on feedback from users of the travel review site.
You may also want to watch:
“These awards recognise the best beaches in the UK and beyond, according to those that really matter – travellers that have visited these beaches and given them the highest levels of praise,” said Emma Shaw, TripAdvisor spokesperson.
First ion the UK went to Rhossili Bay in Swansea, while Porthminster Beach at St Ives in Cornwall was third.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 4 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 5 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 6 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 7 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses