Fire fighters were scrambled to Hele Bay to deal with the fire in a roof cavity at the holiday property yesterday (Wednesday) evening.

A wood burning stove is believed to have caused a fire in a holiday chalet in Hele Bay, Ilfracombe.

Three fire crews were scrambled to reports of a roof fire at 8.40pm yesterday (Wednesday).

Upon arrival, crews confirmed that all persons were accounted for and were at work with four fire ighters wearing breathing apparatus and using two hose reel jets.

The utilities were also isolated at this point.

Crews spent over an hour fighting the fire before beginning salvage operations and dampening down the hot spots.

The fire was believed to have been caused by a wood burning stove that had spread to the cavities between the inner and outer skin of the roof, resulting in substantial fire and water damage to to the property.