Fire fighters rushed to flat in Marlborough Court, Bideford, where they found a woman trapped inside and smoke issuing from the building.

A woman was rescued from a smoke-logged kitchen after a fire broke out in her kitchen this morning (Friday).

Fire fighters were called out to Marlborough Court shortly after 10am, where they found smoke issuing from the ground floor flat.

Colin Mills, station manager at Bideford fire station, said fire fighters could hear the smoke alarm and the woman inside when they arrived.

He said: "Crews went in through the open front door and found the woman in the kitchen.

"They rescued her and gave her oxygen therapy before extinguishing the fire.

"We believe the fire started in the bin in the kitchen."

Pumps from Bideford, Torrington and Barnstaple extinguished the fire wearing breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet.

Mr Mills said there was 'significant' smoke damage to the kitchen and the rest of the property.

He added: "It was a very good job from crew members."