Elderly woman treated for shock after fire broke out in her home and she was unable to escape.

An elderly woman has to be rescued from a property in Combe Martin after a fire broke out.

The woman dialled 999 saying she could not get out of her home in Castle Street at around 12.10pm.

A fire control room operator stayed on the phone to her until arrival of fire crews to make sure she was safe and gave her fire survival guidance.

Three fire engines from Combe Martin and Ilfracombe were mobilised and found the fire was caused by a pan accidentally left on a gas hobb.

Crews removed the pan from the property and ventilated the building.

They also assisted ambulance personnel with the female who was suffering from shock.