Woman carried across beacons for charity
An MS sufferer has taken on an unusual challenge to raise money for charity.
A WOMAN suffering from multiple sclerosis has braved the Brecon Beacons while strapped into a wheelchair on the shoulders of 12 naval officers.
Christine Westlake, 51, from Braunton took part in the challenge in which 12 Royal Navy submarine crew members carried her across the Beacons to raise money for the South West M.S. Therapy Centre in Exeter.
She has raised more than �700 in sponsorship and the crew members have also raised a further �1,000.
“The challenge went well; the route varied from forest tracks to narrow rocky paths running with water,” said Mrs Westlake, who has had MS for more than 14 years.
You may also want to watch:
“We had to go up the side of a steep waterfall with the crew climbing over large fallen trees and lifting me at shoulder height.
“We then had to go through floods with hidden boulders into an old railway tunnel and more floods as we came out of the tunnel which was also running with water.
- 1 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 4 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 9 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
“The only problem the lads and I got lots of midge bites; they were out in force due to the warm damp weather.”
The crew completed the challenge, with Mrs Westlake map-reading at the helm, in three hours and 58 minutes, two minutes below their target.
Anyone who wishes to sponsor Mrs Westlake or the crew can do so by visiting www.justgiving.com/Christine-Westlake or at J & S Wensley newsagents Braunton.