Woman burned in mattress fire

A young woman was taken to hospital suffering from burns to her hands after a mattress caught fire in a first floor flat in Barnstaple High Street. Two fire appliances and an aerial ladder platform were sent to the incident at 2.15 this morning (Wednesda

A young woman was taken to hospital suffering from burns to her hands after a mattress caught fire in a first floor flat in Barnstaple High Street.

Two fire appliances and an aerial ladder platform were sent to the incident at 2.15 this morning (Wednesday).

The small fire was out when they arrived, however, and the fire fighters inspected the property to ensure it was safe.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter