Witnesses sought after alleged Barnstaple doorstep fraud
AN alleged bogus caller in Barnstaple is suspected of using the names of much loved local charities to con householders into handing over money. Police are asking witnesses or potential victims to come forward after a series of incidents in which the alle
AN alleged bogus caller in Barnstaple is suspected of using the names of much loved local charities to con householders into handing over money.
Police are asking witnesses or potential victims to come forward after a series of incidents in which the alleged offender called at homes in the town claiming she was taking part in events such as Race for Life and raising funds for the North Devon Hospice.
Officers said money given so far was in relatively small quantities of two or three pounds, but they believe the person may have targeted a number of homes for false sponsorship.
The suspect is described as a white girl, about five feet, four inches tall, approximately 16 years old and of slim build. She has shoulder length brown hair with a fringe which has red streaks in it.
You may also want to watch:
If you believe you have been approached by the suspect call PC Anna Fielding at Barnstaple Police Station on (01271) 335365 or the police switchboard on 08452 777444.
A 16 year old girl from Barnstaple has been arrested on suspicion of fraud and released on police bail until August 12.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 3 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 4 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 5 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 6 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 7 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack