Witnesses sought after alleged Barnstaple doorstep fraud
AN alleged bogus caller in Barnstaple is suspected of using the names of much loved local charities to con householders into handing over money. Police are asking witnesses or potential victims to come forward after a series of incidents in which the alle
AN alleged bogus caller in Barnstaple is suspected of using the names of much loved local charities to con householders into handing over money.
Police are asking witnesses or potential victims to come forward after a series of incidents in which the alleged offender called at homes in the town claiming she was taking part in events such as Race for Life and raising funds for the North Devon Hospice.
Officers said money given so far was in relatively small quantities of two or three pounds, but they believe the person may have targeted a number of homes for false sponsorship.
The suspect is described as a white girl, about five feet, four inches tall, approximately 16 years old and of slim build. She has shoulder length brown hair with a fringe which has red streaks in it.
You may also want to watch:
If you believe you have been approached by the suspect call PC Anna Fielding at Barnstaple Police Station on (01271) 335365 or the police switchboard on 08452 777444.
A 16 year old girl from Barnstaple has been arrested on suspicion of fraud and released on police bail until August 12.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 8 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 9 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 10 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand