Winter Ridge movie to be shown in Barnstaple
- Credit: Archant
In a scene normally reserved for Leicester Square, Barnstaple will stage the first screening of a multi-award-winning psychological thriller next week.
Starring the likes of Matt Hookings of Maleficent and Game of Thrones’ Hannah Waddingham and directed by Dom Lenoir, Winter Ridge was filmed around the coastal towns of North Devon, Lynton and Lynmouth.
Scott Cinema in Barnstaple will host the first screening of its 30 cinema tour across in London and across the South West on Wednesday (September 5).
The thriller sees the suspicion of a young detective, played by Matt Hookings, on returning for his anniversary to hear that his wife has been in a devastating car crash, develop into a full-scale manhunt for a serial killer striking the elderly.
Filmed in April 2017, Lynton and Lynmouth locals appear as extras and helped with offering houses, cars and even an ambulance for film crews.
You may also want to watch:
Winter Ridge scenes were filmed in Lynton’s Grade II listed Gothic and Tudor style Town Hall, as well as around the town and the coast.
“We have remote Victorian towns that are full of character, set in a rugged landscape with a dramatic coastline,” Lynton resident turned voluntary location manager Diana Mitchell said.
- 1 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 2 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 9 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
“It is a stunning backdrop that helped to create the visual and emotional impact they want for the film.”
The film has already won 11 awards including Best Feature at London’s Independent Film Festival and the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival.
Suzette Hibbert, who was Lynton mayor at the time, said: “The film should enable many thousands of people to see what we have to offer in and around Lynton and Lynmouth and that should help to bring in visitors.
“Not only that, as a thank you for our co-operation, the production team offered to make a cinema standard promotional film of the area.”
In addition to Hannah Waddingham, who played the infamous ‘shame’ nun Septa Unella in Game of Thrones, the film also features Alan Ford (who appeared in Snatch), Olwen Kelly, (The Autopsy of Jane Doe), Justin McDonald and Michael McKell (Allied).
Winter Ridge is being screened at Scott Cinema in Boutport Street on Wednesday at 6pm and 8.15pm.