Renewed calls for services to be preserved as council prepares to hear latest report from the Success Regime review
The ‘next steps’ in the future of North Devon’s health services could be revealed at a meeting on Monday, September 19.
A presentation on the Success Regime review of services in Devon will go before the county council’s health and wellbeing scrutiny committee, but health bosses remain quiet on the details.
Campaigners fears the Government-imposed review could lead to major cuts at North Devon District Hospital (NDDH) such as A and E, maternity, stroke and children’s services.
Committee member and Barnstaple councillor Brian Greenslade said: “At this stage it’s still unclear what they will say.
“I will be using whatever opportunities I get to press the case for retention of services at NDDH. It’s important that North Devon keeps the pressure up and I have concerns about whether changes are being made before we see the Success Regime proposals.”
The North, East and West Devon Clinical Commissioning Group (NEW Devon CCG) is one of only three areas in the country to be put into the Success Regime review.
A report will also go to its northern locality board meeting on September 28.
Health bosses say if nothing is done, the area will be facing a £442million deficit in five years.
A public consultation is anticipated in the autumn. So far, a ‘long list’ of options has been drawn up, which will be reduced to a shortlist and then a preferred option for consultation.
Locally, the review has identified five areas to save money: Elective care – referrals and follow-up appointments; bed-based care – reducing length of stay in hospital; continuing care – packages of care funded by NHS; the high spend on agency staff and the supplies procurement process.
Angela Pedder, chief executive for the NEW Devon Success Regime, said: “The initial focus of our work is on how best to deliver integrated community services.
“Work on securing clinically and financially sustainable acute and specialist care will commence in the autumn.
“We know this is an anxious time for many people and we are sorry we cannot say more. What we do know is that there are 170,000 people in the catchment area who need access to high-quality acute services and this is being factored into the work we will undertake.”