Wildlife day at Eggesford Gardens
MOST gardeners would welcome more wildlife in their gardens but are not sure how to go about attracting these, often beneficial, visitors. Many people also think that wildlife gardens will look untidy, consisting mostly of long grass and nettles, but this
MOST gardeners would welcome more wildlife in their gardens but are not sure how to go about attracting these, often beneficial, visitors. Many people also think that wildlife gardens will look untidy, consisting mostly of long grass and nettles, but this is not the case.
At Eggesford Gardens' Countryside and Wildlife Day on Sunday, Devon Wildlife Trust will be running a gardening for wildlife advice clinic including demonstrations of planting schemes that are both attractive and wildlife friendly.
Another hot topic at the moment, and also an area where gardeners often have problems, is composting. Devon Wildlife Trust will also be giving lots of help and advice on how to make the best compost and you can get your hands dirty trying to identify all the helpful creatures that live in a good compost heap.
Many other conservation organisations will also be on hand including local moth, butterfly and bird-watching groups, the Forestry Commission and Devon and Cornwall Railway Partnership. Exmoor Zoo will have some great activities for the kids and Devon Wildlife Hospital will have some furred and feathered friends with them and will give advice on what to do if you find an injured wild animal.
You may also want to watch:
North Devon Hawk Walks will be in attendance with their fantastic birds of prey.
There will be lots more information available on what you can do in the great outdoors and the event is a real family day with puzzles, quizzes and competitions for all ages. As well as special offers on the day there is a prize draw where you can win a fantastic wild bird care package for your garden.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 9 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 10 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
To find out more about gardening for wildlife or nature conservation then make tracks to the Countryside and Wildlife Day at Eggesford Gardens. Entry to the event is free and there is plenty of car-parking space.
For more information visit www.eggesfordgardens.com or telephone 01769 580250.