Wildlife day at Eggesford Gardens
MOST gardeners would welcome more wildlife in their gardens but are not sure how to go about attracting these, often beneficial, visitors. Many people also think that wildlife gardens will look untidy, consisting mostly of long grass and nettles, but this
MOST gardeners would welcome more wildlife in their gardens but are not sure how to go about attracting these, often beneficial, visitors. Many people also think that wildlife gardens will look untidy, consisting mostly of long grass and nettles, but this is not the case.
At Eggesford Gardens' Countryside and Wildlife Day on Sunday, Devon Wildlife Trust will be running a gardening for wildlife advice clinic including demonstrations of planting schemes that are both attractive and wildlife friendly.
Another hot topic at the moment, and also an area where gardeners often have problems, is composting. Devon Wildlife Trust will also be giving lots of help and advice on how to make the best compost and you can get your hands dirty trying to identify all the helpful creatures that live in a good compost heap.
Many other conservation organisations will also be on hand including local moth, butterfly and bird-watching groups, the Forestry Commission and Devon and Cornwall Railway Partnership. Exmoor Zoo will have some great activities for the kids and Devon Wildlife Hospital will have some furred and feathered friends with them and will give advice on what to do if you find an injured wild animal.
You may also want to watch:
North Devon Hawk Walks will be in attendance with their fantastic birds of prey.
There will be lots more information available on what you can do in the great outdoors and the event is a real family day with puzzles, quizzes and competitions for all ages. As well as special offers on the day there is a prize draw where you can win a fantastic wild bird care package for your garden.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 8 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple
- 9 Barnstaple Waterstones to host first event since March 2020
- 10 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
To find out more about gardening for wildlife or nature conservation then make tracks to the Countryside and Wildlife Day at Eggesford Gardens. Entry to the event is free and there is plenty of car-parking space.
For more information visit www.eggesfordgardens.com or telephone 01769 580250.