WI members learn how to cook from the can
MEMBERS of local WI Mortehoe, received a cooking lesson in canned food cuisine by celebrity chef James Martin last week. During a cookery day hosted by Canned Food UK and the WI, Devon WI ladies were able to glean top tips from the celebrity chef as he p
MEMBERS of local WI Mortehoe, received a cooking lesson in canned food cuisine by celebrity chef James Martin last week.
During a cookery day hosted by Canned Food UK and the WI, Devon WI ladies were able to glean top tips from the celebrity chef as he prepared recipes using canned food as ingredients. They also learnt about health and wellbeing with nutritionist Amanda Hamilton during the event.
"It was a fantastic experience," Catherine Williams said. "We learnt how easy it is to cook meals using canned food with James, and then about nutrition with Amanda - such as how to get your 5-A-DAY with canned food. I really enjoyed the day."
The event, which coincided with the celebration of the 200th anniversary of the food can, was held at the WI's cooking school in Oxfordshire last week. James Martin demonstrated several recipes created by Canned Food UK to a packed audience of WI members from across the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Catherine was also able to put her own questions to James and Amanda during a Q&A. "James has given me a lot of new ideas for cooking," she added. "I'm really excited to get back in the kitchen and have a go myself!"
James Martin said: "I really enjoyed meeting members of the WI during the cooking day. Canned foods are a staple in top chefs' store cupboards both in the UK and around the world - they're easy to cook with, affordable and taste great. It's important for busy people like members of the WI to make quick, healthy meals for the whole family - so they can have a balanced diet even with a hectic lifestyle.
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety