WI members learn how to cook from the can
MEMBERS of local WI Mortehoe, received a cooking lesson in canned food cuisine by celebrity chef James Martin last week. During a cookery day hosted by Canned Food UK and the WI, Devon WI ladies were able to glean top tips from the celebrity chef as he p
MEMBERS of local WI Mortehoe, received a cooking lesson in canned food cuisine by celebrity chef James Martin last week.
During a cookery day hosted by Canned Food UK and the WI, Devon WI ladies were able to glean top tips from the celebrity chef as he prepared recipes using canned food as ingredients. They also learnt about health and wellbeing with nutritionist Amanda Hamilton during the event.
"It was a fantastic experience," Catherine Williams said. "We learnt how easy it is to cook meals using canned food with James, and then about nutrition with Amanda - such as how to get your 5-A-DAY with canned food. I really enjoyed the day."
The event, which coincided with the celebration of the 200th anniversary of the food can, was held at the WI's cooking school in Oxfordshire last week. James Martin demonstrated several recipes created by Canned Food UK to a packed audience of WI members from across the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Catherine was also able to put her own questions to James and Amanda during a Q&A. "James has given me a lot of new ideas for cooking," she added. "I'm really excited to get back in the kitchen and have a go myself!"
James Martin said: "I really enjoyed meeting members of the WI during the cooking day. Canned foods are a staple in top chefs' store cupboards both in the UK and around the world - they're easy to cook with, affordable and taste great. It's important for busy people like members of the WI to make quick, healthy meals for the whole family - so they can have a balanced diet even with a hectic lifestyle.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 8 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 9 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park