Why must we stay silent on array issue?
SIR - Referring to the letter Idle Speculation from three local councillors. May I respectfully suggest it would have been more appropriate for them to have mailed this letter directly to their fellow councillors and to Nick Harvey MP who actually gave
SIR - Referring to the letter "Idle Speculation" from three local councillors. May I respectfully suggest it would have been more appropriate for them to have mailed this letter directly to their fellow councillors and to Nick Harvey MP who actually gave all this "idle speculation" to the local newspapers!
They state that: "discussions are at a delicate stage and silly chatter could jeopardise chances of winning this project and that careless talk could cost jobs".
I found these comments unbelievable! Nick Harvey is practically giving the media a blow by blow account of his private talks with Ministers in Whitehall - so he doesn't seem bothered about losing North Devon jobs? I suspect even he might realize that this is one 'contract loss' that might actually earn him a few votes and as it will probably go to Port Talbot anyway - what has he got to lose?
The point is, Nick Harvey told the press that he is discussing the housing of 3,000 migrant workers on Fremington Army Camp with the heirachy in London without consulting his constituents who pay his salary.
However, are we being told by our three local ccouncillors. that we must mind our business, stay silent, no idle chitter chatter among ourselves until 'our betters' feel it appropriate to have local consultations?
Messrs. Gill, Jones and Moores agree with the 'Atlantic Array' coming to Yelland and Fremington. Would they now have the courtesy to let local people of Fremington Ward know where they want these migrant workers housed .... Fremington Army Camp or perhaps the Yelland Asbestos Site?
- 1 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 2 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
- 3 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 4 OPINION: Support North Devon's fantastic live music venues - Andy McAuley
- 5 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 6 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 7 Police seek owner of bike found after car stolen in Barnstaple
- 8 OPINION: Channel your inner Wim Hof in Saunton this weekend
- 9 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 10 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
Perhaps Nick Harvey is willing to give them temporary caravan accommodation on his estate? Or is Councillor Peter Christie from the Green Party, willing to house them on Torridgeside; possibly Knapp House Estate? Is all this just another example of why we are all so fed up with what is loosely termed 'politicians'?