Why does Appledore need dockside flats development?
SIR - My reasons for objection to the proposed Appledore dockside redevelopment: 1), Appledore is full of old world charm, due to careful conservation by its residents over time. With its tiny side streets such as Irsha Street, Market Street, Vernons Lan
SIR - My reasons for objection to the proposed Appledore dockside redevelopment:
1), Appledore is full of old world charm, due to careful conservation by its residents over time. With its tiny side streets such as Irsha Street, Market Street, Vernons Lane, One end Streeet, etc. and with the many individual character cottages spread throughout the village it remains one of the very few places with its marine history, that attracts visitors from all over the UK each year. Why? Because it has not been ruined by the type of planning that you are being asked to consider at present.
2), Just look along the coast to Westward Ho! Ask yourselves whether the flats erected on the sea front there have been an asset to the area. How many have been purchased so far? What type of purchasers are actually buying them?
You will find that the majority are still empty - those which have been purchased are used for holiday and weekend use and not for permanent occupation.
You may also want to watch:
3), Why do we need 24 flats in Applefore anyway? There is no work in the area to attract families.
4), The dockside should be revived in such a way that it supports Appledore's marine heritage. A maritime museum with a visitors' centre - more use of the dockside slipway with use by local boating clubs and boat owners. Also why not bring the Kathleen and May to the dockside - it woud be more in keeping with her tradition, wouldn't it?
- 1 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 2 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 3 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 4 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 5 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 6 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 7 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 8 Barnstaple flood prevention scheme at least two years away
- 9 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 10 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
Don't let Appledore's tradition die the way so many other villages have - due to over-modernisation and thoughtless planning.
B Cox (via email).