Why does Appledore need dockside flats development?
SIR - My reasons for objection to the proposed Appledore dockside redevelopment: 1), Appledore is full of old world charm, due to careful conservation by its residents over time. With its tiny side streets such as Irsha Street, Market Street, Vernons Lan
SIR - My reasons for objection to the proposed Appledore dockside redevelopment:
1), Appledore is full of old world charm, due to careful conservation by its residents over time. With its tiny side streets such as Irsha Street, Market Street, Vernons Lane, One end Streeet, etc. and with the many individual character cottages spread throughout the village it remains one of the very few places with its marine history, that attracts visitors from all over the UK each year. Why? Because it has not been ruined by the type of planning that you are being asked to consider at present.
2), Just look along the coast to Westward Ho! Ask yourselves whether the flats erected on the sea front there have been an asset to the area. How many have been purchased so far? What type of purchasers are actually buying them?
You will find that the majority are still empty - those which have been purchased are used for holiday and weekend use and not for permanent occupation.
You may also want to watch:
3), Why do we need 24 flats in Applefore anyway? There is no work in the area to attract families.
4), The dockside should be revived in such a way that it supports Appledore's marine heritage. A maritime museum with a visitors' centre - more use of the dockside slipway with use by local boating clubs and boat owners. Also why not bring the Kathleen and May to the dockside - it woud be more in keeping with her tradition, wouldn't it?
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 3 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 4 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 7 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 8 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 9 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
- 10 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
Don't let Appledore's tradition die the way so many other villages have - due to over-modernisation and thoughtless planning.
B Cox (via email).