Who did know about overspend?
SIR - I was amazed to read of the mess that North Devon District Council has got itself into, with accusations and counter accusations being thrown around by the Tory Leader and his (elected) Tory colleague over the overspend on the Brynsworthy Direct Lab
SIR - I was amazed to read of the mess that North Devon District Council has got itself into, with accusations and counter accusations being thrown around by the Tory Leader and his (elected) Tory colleague over the overspend on the Brynsworthy Direct Labour Unit.
That there is an overspend of such a magnitude (�750,000 against an original budget figure of �5 million - a massive 15 per cent) is one thing and shows either total loss of control or incompetence, but the absolute lack of accountability is another.
The Council Leader seems quite happy to pass the buck onto the Lead Member and tried to get away with a verbal report. Only now does he seem to have grasped the seriousness of the matter and only now is he calling for a detailed report.
The Lead Member for the project claims not to have known about the overspend, which begs the questions, who did know? And why did they not think to tell the relevant Cabinet Member? For how long has the Council Leader known about the developing overspend? What is the extent of the secrecy here and how much more is being hidden from the hard-pressed council tax payer?
You may also want to watch:
Someone within the political elite at the Council needs to understand the meaning of the words 'with responsibility for' in their title.
As a retired councillor of some 16 years standing in a rural District similar to North Devon and a Cabinet Member with responsibility for Resources (including finances, budgeting and contracting) I would never have dreamt of going to Council without the full facts and without the benefit of a full officer report.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
I like to think I would have had my finger on matters with regular officer meetings during the course of any project. Indeed I like to think the officers would have had the confidence in me to keep me appraised at all stages.
After only two-and-a-half years of Conservative control at North Devon the administration is, in my opinion, clearly in a shambles and the finances are rapidly going down the pan. This does not bode well for the finances at County Hall where the Tories, after only six months in charge, are already planning mass job cuts in vulnerable areas, or at national level should the Tories take outright control and reveal the true nature of their economic plans.