Where is evidence for rising sea levels?
SIR - The redevelopment of Seven Bretheren has become controversial because of the alleged threat of rising sea levels. But where is the evidence in North Devon? I have not seen any real change in 20 years on the river, at Saunton or Westward Ho!, and ne
SIR - The redevelopment of Seven Bretheren has become controversial because of the alleged threat of rising sea levels.
But where is the evidence in North Devon? I have not seen any real change in 20 years on the river, at Saunton or Westward Ho!, and neither has a friend who has known the estuary for 45 years and has a boat on the Taw.
Then I found out about Dr Nils-Axel Morner, former head of paleogeophysics and geodynamics at Stockholm University, who was the leader of the Maldives Sea Level Project.
His studies found that sea levels are not rising. In fact they fell by 20 cm in 1970 and have not changed since. He then made a programme for Maldives TV to reassure the residents, but their government banned the broadcast.
You may also want to watch:
So, who are we to believe, a scientist with proven credentials or politicians who have consistently misled us and broken their promises? They have completely accepted the predictions from the IPCC (who's chairman is a railway engineer), that sea levels will rise by 23 feet!
UKIP has always been sceptical about the reason for global warming because global change is not new and our politicians cannot be trusted. They may be right, because North Devon was affected by an Ice Age, and remains of an elephant were found in Barnstaple. The growing evidence of colder weather, and no sign of rising sea levels, makes me think we have been conned again.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 3 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 8 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 9 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 10 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
What we really need is a "sea change" in politics, and some common sense.
Michael Pagram, Barnstaple.