What the Bible has to say about psychics
SIR - The expulsion of the psychic Lighthouse group from St Mary’s Church, Pilton, seems to have caused confusion among Christians and non-Christians alike. Talk of trying to persuade the Church authorities to reconsider their action is misguided.
The fact that the local Church leadership allowed the meetings to take place suggests that even many Christians are not aware of the Bible’s teachings on this matter. The following are the relevant instructions from The Bible, the Old Testament of which is the guideline for Christians, Jews and Moslems.
Leviticus 19:26b Do not practise divination or sorcery; 19:31, Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them; 20:6, I will set my face against the person who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute himself by following them, and I will cut him off from his people; 20:27, A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.
With Halloween having become a major festival in recent years, the following instructions are worth consideration:
Deuteronomy 18:10-11, Let no one be found among you ... who practises divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord.
You may also want to watch:
Those are the words of God. If you don’t like what you read, don’t complain to me or the Church; argue it out with God. If you dare!
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 3 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 4 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 5 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 6 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections