SIR - I was surprised to read your article regarding North Devon Homes last week. The tenants on Woodville have been told that NDH had the money already. I do take exception to the paragraph saying that we had been consulted and have been given detailed i
SIR - I was surprised to read your article regarding North Devon Homes last week. The tenants on Woodville have been told that NDH had the money already.
I do take exception to the paragraph saying that we had been consulted and have been given detailed information on the scheme.
In October ,2003 I received a letter from NDH saying that I would be told by March 2004 when the houses here would be re-bricked. I had no such letter. In April this year I was told of the re-build scheme designed to squeeze in something like an extra 120 homes.
Based on re-bricking I have done a lot of work externally on my house, which seems now to be wasted money and time.
You may also want to watch:
The consultation consisted of a quick interview in my home with NDH, all of which seems to have been ignored. We did have two meetings at The Cedars. The first consultation consisted of a plan of the existing estate, with errors of ownership, and a few photographs of recently built houses, and being told that the next meeting would have all the information needed.
This second meeting consisted of the proposed lay-out of site and houses, WITH NO DIMENSIONS GIVEN. When I queried this, I was told that they were proven designs, but I defy anyone to put a bed in the third bedroom of a five person three-bedroom house, and be able to get in the room, open the wardrobe door or open and shut windows.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 3 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 7 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 8 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 9 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage
- 10 Mission: Unbreakable back with a bang for 2021
When I complained I was told that these were proven designs, without the sizes, and how much my input was valued. How can you have an input when you don't know the sizes of what is being proposed?
These would be given at the next meeting I was told, later this month, but that the consultation period was over. What consultation?
This is much more like riding roughshod over the tenants of NDH in what is looking very much like a done deal, with NDH going through the motions.
In passing, I am hopeful that NDH will not get the funding they need, their accounts look shaky and could do with a cash injection, and this estate is so badly designed that vandalism, crime, and drug use will be rife.
There are too many entry and exits from the estate with dark corners abounding for the police to stand any chance of stopping it, and we could easily become the crime hot-spot for North Devon
Alan Gover, Barnstaple.