Wetherspoon pub plan for Bideford
Pub development could bring 45-50 new jobs to the town, say the company
PLANS for a Wetherspoon pub in Bideford could bring 45-50 new jobs to the town, say the company.
The national chain has applied for planning permission to develop the premises of Bideford Carpet and Furnishings Centre in Bridgeland Street.
Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “We can confirm that Wetherspoon has exchanged to purchase Bideford Carpet and Furnishings Centre in Bridgeland Street.
“The company has applied for planning permission to develop the building into a pub and awaits the outcome. There is no on site or projected opening date for the pub, as Wetherspoon needs both planning and licensing permission.
You may also want to watch:
“If the pub were to be given the go-ahead, the company would look to invest �900,000 in developing it and creating around 45 to 50 jobs in the process.
“We are extremely keen to open a Wetherspoon pub in Bideford and pleased that we are now at the planning stages.”
- 1 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 2 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 3 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 4 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 5 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 6 5-year-old Emily signs up to Appledore RNLI Mayday Mile Event
- 7 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 8 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 9 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
The news has brought a mixed reaction from other traders.
Some have expressed concern about the effects on other businesses, while others have suggested that there could be long term benefits of attracting more people to a quieter side of the town.