Wetherspoon pub plan for Bideford
Pub development could bring 45-50 new jobs to the town, say the company
PLANS for a Wetherspoon pub in Bideford could bring 45-50 new jobs to the town, say the company.
The national chain has applied for planning permission to develop the premises of Bideford Carpet and Furnishings Centre in Bridgeland Street.
Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “We can confirm that Wetherspoon has exchanged to purchase Bideford Carpet and Furnishings Centre in Bridgeland Street.
“The company has applied for planning permission to develop the building into a pub and awaits the outcome. There is no on site or projected opening date for the pub, as Wetherspoon needs both planning and licensing permission.
You may also want to watch:
“If the pub were to be given the go-ahead, the company would look to invest �900,000 in developing it and creating around 45 to 50 jobs in the process.
“We are extremely keen to open a Wetherspoon pub in Bideford and pleased that we are now at the planning stages.”
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
The news has brought a mixed reaction from other traders.
Some have expressed concern about the effects on other businesses, while others have suggested that there could be long term benefits of attracting more people to a quieter side of the town.