Westward Ho! burrows gate to remain open
- Credit: Archant
Council will resume charging at the Westward Ho! gate to Northam Burrows tomorrow (Tuesday) as gate is set to stay open.
THE Westward Ho! gate of Northam Burrows will now remain open, Torridge District Council has confirmed.
The council came under fire last week when it closed the popular access without consulting businesses or members of the public.
Council officers claimed a number of ‘near misses’ had sparked health and safety fears.
But after an uprising from local people and businesses – including one person sawing off the new gate imposed – the council reopened the gate for a trial period.
You may also want to watch:
Free parking was offered for the bank holiday weekend and today (Mon) the council has confirmed the gate will remain open.
Ray Webster head of environmental health, housing & public protection, said: “The Westward Ho! gate is open today and there is free access onto the Burrows.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
- 8 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
“From tomorrow the Westward Ho! gate will remain open but there will be charging as per normal.
“As an interim measure to mitigate safety concerns the council has erected a new safety barrier adjacent to the toll hut.
“Longer term arrangements are currently being reviewed.”
Justin Hillyer, of North Devon Surf School, said he was just glad the car park was open again.
He said: “We’ve had a busy bank holiday with sunshine and great surf and there has been no congestion or problems whatsoever.
“Now they have put up a three-foot high metal barrier which probably cost them about £50 and the health and safety man has said its ok.
“We’re just happy they have opened it back up and it’s all back to how it has been for the last 50 years or so.”