Welcome developments help resort to prosper
SIR - With decreasing amounts of public sector funding available, regeneration of Ilfracombe will be even more dependent on inward investment from the private sector. The Severn Link ferry and Wetherspoons redevelopment of the Collingwood are much welcom
SIR - With decreasing amounts of public sector funding available, regeneration of Ilfracombe will be even more dependent on inward investment from the private sector. The Severn Link ferry and Wetherspoons' redevelopment of the Collingwood are much welcomed developments that will contribute to Ilfracombe's prosperity.
The three wind turbines proposed by BT at Great Shelfin Farm is also a significant investment for Ilfracombe, sending out the message to all arriving by land or sea, that this is a forward looking, thriving community that cares about its environment.
Climate change is the greatest threat to our green and pleasant land that visitors come to enjoy so the turbines are a positive demonstration that BT are doing their bit (some 7,797 tonnes of CO2 per year) to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions causing climate change.
It's not the sight of turbines, one of the more attractive examples of 21st century technology, slowly wheeling away on the horizon, that will put people off visiting Ilfracombe, but the signs of neglect in the town that does. We have too many empty and boarded up shops, hotels and building sites as well as town centre properties in need of repairs, that send out the message of decline.
You may also want to watch:
Let us all welcome the demonstration of progress and renewal in this small step towards sustainable energy supply and mitigation of climate change.
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 3 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 7 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 8 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 9 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 10 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton