Cold snap forecast for the South West over the weekend
- Credit: Archant
The Met Office has issued a cold weather alert for the coming weekend.
The forecaster said there was a '70 per cent probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow' between 6pm on Sunday, January 19 and on Tuesday, January 21.
Minimum temperatures over night tonight (Friday, January 17) are forecast at minus 4 degrees, with a widespread frost expected.
Saturday will be cold and dry with plenty of sunshine, but clear skies overnight will see another frost.
However the current forecast for Barnstaple says minimum temperatures are likely to be about one degrees.
You may also want to watch:
Devon County Council has said its gritters will be out overnight salting around 2,000 miles of road network across the county.
The Met Office said freezing fog patches were possible in the South West on Monday (January 20) and possibly widespread on Tuesday.
- 1 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 2 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 3 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 4 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 5 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 6 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 7 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 8 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 9 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
- 10 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief