Cold snap forecast for the South West over the weekend
- Credit: Archant
The Met Office has issued a cold weather alert for the coming weekend.
The forecaster said there was a '70 per cent probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow' between 6pm on Sunday, January 19 and on Tuesday, January 21.
Minimum temperatures over night tonight (Friday, January 17) are forecast at minus 4 degrees, with a widespread frost expected.
Saturday will be cold and dry with plenty of sunshine, but clear skies overnight will see another frost.
However the current forecast for Barnstaple says minimum temperatures are likely to be about one degrees.
You may also want to watch:
Devon County Council has said its gritters will be out overnight salting around 2,000 miles of road network across the county.
The Met Office said freezing fog patches were possible in the South West on Monday (January 20) and possibly widespread on Tuesday.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 3 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 Holsworthy solicitor praised by guide to UK’s top lawyers
- 7 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 10 Team to lead community-focussed Gazette into new era