If the situation is resolved it could take ‘three to four months’ to restaff Holsworthy Hospital, says trust

Health bosses have issued a video to answer questions about the closure of beds at Holsworthy Hospital.

Northern Devon Healthcare Trust says following the temporary closure on March 31 it needs to address both a lack of staff and the 'low occupancy of the inpatient beds'.

Featuring chief executive Dr Alison Diamond and other members of the senior management team, the video responds to frequently asked questions.

These include why the beds were closed, whether they will ever reopen, what is being done and whether any staff will be made redundant.

In a statement the trust said: "Because the trust determines its staffing needs based on the care that is provided, the issue of low bed occupancy needs to be addressed first."

It says it will now work with community leaders and 'clinical stakeholders' to explore how the beds at Holsworthy can best be used.

It says it is looking at whether there is 'unmet need' for beds in Holsworthy and Torridge.

It is also working with working with Northern, Eastern and Western Devon CCG to liaise with neighbouring providers and commissioners to explore whether Holsworthy can serve a wider population area.

Torridge and West Devon MP Geoffrey Cox has previously said he fears the beds at Holsworthy will not be restored.

Last month he said he was 'unconvinced' by the case for closure of facilities and urged for the case to be 'fully examined'.

The trust said the teams in Holsworthy had been fully supported through the process and had all been moved to other temporary positions.

It said if the situation were resolved, there would still be a minimum three to four months to re-staff the hospital.

It said it would like to thank the community for their continued patience and understanding.