Was it ever worth it?
SIR - Walking my dogs this morning at 6.00am I was shocked to come across the damage that had been done overnight to the fencing to the rear of the newly built skate board park in Rock Park. I have been watching this fence slowly become more damaged since
SIR - Walking my dogs this morning at 6.00am I was shocked to come across the damage that had been done overnight to the fencing to the rear of the newly built skate board park in Rock Park.
I have been watching this fence slowly become more damaged since about a week after the park opened.
The damage today, it has to be said ,makes you wonder why �400 000 was spent on a group of young and not so young people who after causing many thousands of pounds worth of damage in and around the town over the years we are told because they had nowhere else to go, now find it nessesary to destroy what must be one of the best skating parks in the county.
The mess that is strewn around the site on a daily basis with a total disregard of the bins provided is shocking.
You may also want to watch:
Rubbish is thrown into Ladies Mile road along side including bottles and cans, the fence between the road and skateboard park has had parts of the fence kicked out into the road, although someone has put them back into place.
I have noticed on the board put up by the council that this area is for the use of skateboarders, inline skaters, and for some reason BMX bikers.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
I can understand skateboarders and inline skaters sharing this area but to allow BMX bikers onto the site as well is just begging for a major accident to happen.
It has been seen that the BMX riders gather at one end of the facility and when there are enough of them they take over the whole skating area and spend their time intimidating skateboarders and any non-bikers who try to share the facility with them.
I can only assume that the council consider they have spent enough on this group of people and have decided to lump them all together in one area to save themselves money.
This area has its own CCTV. I can only assume that someone has failed to plug a camera in at the other end so these mindless morons can be filmed and caught in the act.
Ken Smith, Barnstaple.