Waitrose pulls out of building brand new Torrington store
- Credit: Archant
Waitrose has announced today (Thursday) it will not be building a brand new superstore in Torrington.
Waitrose has announced it is pulling out of plans to build a new store in Torrington.
Plans for the 1,678 sq m store with cafe in South Street car park were approved by Torridge District Council in February.
A spokesman for Waitrose said: “Regrettably, we are not in a position to progress plans further at this time.
“We have worked hard with Kimberley Developments and the council to find a solution that would enable us to progress, but sadly the well documented changes in trading conditions across the supermarket sector and rising construction costs have made it necessary to review our plans.
“It is not a decision we have taken lightly, but we would not wish to progress without absolute confidence of when we could open to enable us to make a positive and lasting contribution to the town.
You may also want to watch:
“We share in the disappointment this will cause for many local residents and are grateful to everyone who took time to provide feedback on the plans.”
The plans had divided opinion in the town, with eight out of nine Torridge councillors on the planning committee voting for it.
- 1 Fatal car crash on the A39 near Kilkhampton
- 2 Summer car parking charges hike planned for North Devon
- 3 North Devon MP 'disappointed' Covid restrictions not lifted sooner
- 4 Councillor 'sets record straight' on Brunswick Wharf development
- 5 Shocked widow finds drunken sailor asleep in her Bideford home
- 6 40% of Devon adults have received first Covid vaccination
- 7 £5 a year council tax rise confirmed by Torridge District Council
- 8 Carer denies ill treating Bideford patient
- 9 'Incredible Hulk' jailed for Barnstaple street attack
- 10 Barnstaple now a flood prevention priority after 'worst flood event'
It was hoped the store would bring ‘new life’ to Torrington. The future of the site is not currently known.
What do you think of Waitrose’s announcement to not build its new store? Contact email@example.com