Volunteers needed to help tackle Barnstaple grot spot
Residents hoping for a little help on saturday of next to tackle overgrown areas near Barbican Road
VOLUNTEERS are being sought to help clear overgrown roadside verges on one of the main routes into the centre of Barnstaple.
The stretch from the Barnstaple Inn opposite the bus station right through to Pulchrass Street is choked with weeds and litter. Although a section was cleared, the weeds are making a come back and more needs doing.
The work was carried out by the Barbican Residents’ Association together with town councillor Simon Harvey and they are hoping others will join them on Saturday, September 3.
They are concerned the overgrown verges beside the pavement along the A39 Barbican Road and into Belle Meadow Road are not only off-putting to visitors but throw the area into gloom that encourages the fear of crime.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a main route into the town and very off putting for anyone visiting, not a good advert for a tourist or shopping area,” said Julia Daunt, chairman of the residents association.
Cllr Harvey added: “For anyone coming in to the bus station on the National Express coach sitting high up, it is the first thing they see. We are hoping people living nearby or anyone else in the town will be willing to join us for the clear up. We’d appreciate it if you could bring your own tools, protective gloves and suitable clothing.”
- 1 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
Anyone who can spare a couple of hours on Saturday, September 3 is asked to meet outside Summerland Stores near the Barnstaple Inn at 10am.