Volunteers needed to help tackle Barnstaple grot spot
Residents hoping for a little help on saturday of next to tackle overgrown areas near Barbican Road
VOLUNTEERS are being sought to help clear overgrown roadside verges on one of the main routes into the centre of Barnstaple.
The stretch from the Barnstaple Inn opposite the bus station right through to Pulchrass Street is choked with weeds and litter. Although a section was cleared, the weeds are making a come back and more needs doing.
The work was carried out by the Barbican Residents’ Association together with town councillor Simon Harvey and they are hoping others will join them on Saturday, September 3.
They are concerned the overgrown verges beside the pavement along the A39 Barbican Road and into Belle Meadow Road are not only off-putting to visitors but throw the area into gloom that encourages the fear of crime.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a main route into the town and very off putting for anyone visiting, not a good advert for a tourist or shopping area,” said Julia Daunt, chairman of the residents association.
Cllr Harvey added: “For anyone coming in to the bus station on the National Express coach sitting high up, it is the first thing they see. We are hoping people living nearby or anyone else in the town will be willing to join us for the clear up. We’d appreciate it if you could bring your own tools, protective gloves and suitable clothing.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
- 8 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 9 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 10 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
Anyone who can spare a couple of hours on Saturday, September 3 is asked to meet outside Summerland Stores near the Barnstaple Inn at 10am.